Private Practice: The How-To Manual
A Concise Guide for Physical Therapists Opening a Private Practice
Published by the Private Practice Section | Reviewed by Kelly Sanders
The second edition of The How-To Manual is a comprehensive work written by seasoned veterans of private practice physical therapy. While this text is written with the soon to be or relatively new private practice owner in mind, there is also good content for the experienced practice owner.
The text covers multiple topics involved in running a private physical therapy practice. Each topic is broken into its own chapter and written by an author with specific expertise in the given subject matter. Chapters, each a stand-alone primer on the given subject, provide a sound reference to keep close as you navigate the world of private practice. The 13 chapters include:
- Select & Design a Practice Site: Use a Competitive Marketing Analysis to Guide Decision By Paul Martin, MPT, CSCS, CBI, M&AMI
- Building Your Business Plan—What it takes to get started By Jeff Ostrowski, PT and Toff Login, PT, MSPT, ATC
- Business Structure Options: Legal, Tax & Regulatory Considerations By Paul Welk, Esq., PT
- Marketing & Public Relations Essentials By Lynn Steffes, PT, DPT
- Managing Human Resources By Zoher Kapasi, PT, PhD, MBA, and Beth Davis, PT, DPT, MBA
- Financial Management By Charles Felder, PT, DPT, SCS, MBA
- Revenue Cycle By Larry Post, CFO and J’Anna Post, PT, OCS
- Payer Contracting for Physical Therapists By Bridget Morehouse, PT, MPT, MBA
- Building a Compliance Program on the Shoulders of Risk Assessment By Mary Daulong, PT, CHC, CHP
- Business Systems in Physical Therapy Practice By Tannus Quatre, PT, MBA
- Private Practice and Social Responsibility By Barbara Tschoepe, PT, DPT, PhD and Jennifer Green-Wilson, PT, MBA, EdD
- Integrating Quality Standards into Physical Therapy Private Practice By Eric Robertson, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT
- Leadership: The Key to a Successful Private Physical Therapy Practice By Stephen Anderson, PT, DPT and David Deppler, PT, DSc
The text is available in print or digital formats. Both are laid out in an easy-to-read format with appendices containing rich resources as well as hyperlinks to ready-made templates for everything from sample Profit & Loss Statements to budgets to website evaluation forms.
Kelly Sanders, PT, DPT, OCS, ATC, is a member of the Impact editorial board and is president of Team Movement for Life, a 19-location outpatient physical therapy practice operating in California and Arizona. Kelly can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.